CV Mask Directions
Updated: Apr 13, 2020
Thanks for your interest in helping Coachella Valley Mask Makers. We've been overwhelmed by the support from our desert community! We are working overtime to supply our existing mask-makers with mask-making kits and we have temporarily closed registration to new mask makers. Would you like to help fund this project.
Read the latest communication to our volunteers. Check back here soon for new updates!
To help further, donate funds — *Note* please write "Coachella Valley Mask Makers" in the comment section to help properly account for the funds
To create a mask, download the mask template and follow the directions below.
1. Fold the paper into 1⁄4. Place pattern so that it folds over the folded side of your rectangle. The arch and tabs will face the open edges.
(If you fold as shown in photos, the nose area will not need to be glued. A folded seam will be above the nose.)
2. Cut out pattern, and glue the red lined area indicated in photo below. Fold over and press together!
3. Next, glue along arch edge, as indicated below. Fold into 1⁄4 and press the arch edges firmly together. Allow to dry.
It should look like this.
4. Turn the mask inside-out as shown below:
5. Place a rubber band over a tab and then make 2 lines of glue as shown below (one line of glue will cover the rubber band). Fold over at the dotted line and press firmly together. This is the stress point; so, it needs to be secure.
6. Do the same for the 2ND tab. When finished, each tab should look similar to this photo below:
7. Wire Nose Piece: 7a. Cut a piece of paper 4.25” x 1.5” 7b. Place the wire in the center of the 4.25” x 1.5” paper and glue 2 drops over the tips to protect the wire from poking out later on.
7c. Make 1 row of glue on both ends and fold ends over the glued wire.
7d. Make three rows of glue; one over the wire and 2 on either length of nosepiece. Then fold each side over the wire. The wire is now secure within the paper and is 1/3 of beginning width.
7e. Add a length of glue down center of nose piece.
7f. Place it in the center of the top of the mask (the unglued folded side) about 1⁄4” from the top. Press and secure in place.